(drum roll please)
I've decided I'm going to try to do it. I want to become a photographer.I feel so silly about this, and I don't know why. Maybe because it seems so artistic and "out there" like wanting to become an actor or painter. I don't know. Maybe it's because I've changed my mind so many times before about what I wanted to do when I finally grew up that I'm afraid no one will take me seriously. I'm not sure. I do know, though, that ever since I got my first camera when I was eight years old, I've loved taking pictures. When I finally got a real manual camera a little over a year ago, I started learning about how to use the camera. Now that I am finally learning about the art of photography, I'm hooked.
I know that I'm not a REAL photographer. Not yet anyway. And in order to get there, I have my work cut out for me. Right now I just want to learn learn learn!

At the moment, I know I screw up BIG TIME and OFTEN. I still get the wrong exposure when I'm chasing Bella around (especially when the light is changing). My focus is off now and again, I make lots of technical no nos like cutting off body parts and overexposing spots on hair and shirts - constantly... And my post processing?? Let's just say if I don't spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME on one picture in Photoshop or Lightroom, it leaves much to be desired. Let's not even get started on the most complicated - composition.
If I posted this picture up for critique, it would get torn apart. (straight out of camera or "SOOC").I underexposed the foreground, overexposed parts of the sky, and cut off parts of both Alex's elbows, and both of Bella's feet. OUCH!
Still... I like the composition and the feeling of the photo. It makes me smile. And check out the fabulous colors.
And that's just the stuff I know about. Two months ago, I didn't even realize you weren't supposed to "blow out" parts of your photos. Hell, I didn't even know what "blow out" meant.
I do now, though! And this is where you come in, my very faithful readers (Hi to the five of you!) I thought I'd invite you all along on my journey. I'm sure it will be entertaining to watch, and at the very least, educational. You can learn a few photography tips as I learn them, and practice your skills along with me.
TADAAA! A blow out, just for you!!See her cheek and arm? When you overexpose and lose all detail, it's called a "blow out". When I took it, I thought I was doing some real artistic lighting. Little did I know.
Anyway, here's the elaborate plan for this blog:
I'll try to post a little blurb about what I'm currently working on and learning about at least once a week. I'll share "the good, the bad and the ugly" of photography and post some of my photos (the good, bad and ugly ones, of course).
Pretty cunning plan, isn't it?
And someday... (sigh)

I'll become a REAL photographer.


2 comments:
I didn't know you were ding this! You will do awesome and you are so into learning and reading and learning some more that you will succeed. I think photography has changed a lot in the recent years, I like cutting body parts off and the blurry effect. Anyway I just wanted to let you know I will be watching you :)
So, I wanted to have a comment on your first post. So that when you are a "real" photographer I can say I followed her blog before anyone else!
Post a Comment