• slideshow image 2 slideshow image 3 slideshow image 4 slideshow image 5 slideshow image 6 slideshow image 
7 slideshow image 
8 slideshow image 
9

    Project 52 Week 10 - Vintage

    I am a big sucker for anything vintage. I think this must be because my dad owned an antique store when we were kids so he was constantly dragging us to antique stores, flea markets, garage sales and thrift stores. I remember one summer, spending the days at his shop in Quartermaster harbor on Vashon. I was eight and had just received my very first camera for my birthday. Oh, the pure joy!! I was so thrilled to be getting a camera. I wanted to take photos of all my dolls and write a book about them. I never finished it.

    Vintage love has followed me throughout my life. My very first car was a cherry red ´64 Volkswagen bug that had a horn that constantly got stuck on. My friends and I had a blast cruising around in that thing. As for furniture, well, I have very few pieces of furniture, since I've moved around so much, but I do have a couple pieces that I've toted around with me - my parent's very first piece of furniture - a beautiful oak bookcase, and my very favorite - a wooden, wind up record player that dates back to the early 1900s. I adore it. I like to think about the people who bought it new. What excitement they must have felt!!

    We moved into our new house two days ago, so I went to pick up my small stash of furniture from my dad's house. He could probably open another antique store, he has so much stored in his barn. One pretty chair caught my eye while I was there, and my dad let me have it. It has been badly damaged by a naughty kitty, but I don't care. I love it anyway. I can't remember what kind of chair he said it was, but he did mention that it dates back to the 1800s! Wowsers! Amazing.

    Now head on over to see the talented Shauna, Sudbury, Ontario Photographer
     of Simply Shauna Photography.

    14 comments:

    emily horton said...

    Love this. AND I think you need to finish that book! :-)

    Shauna said...

    Sarah I missed you and your gorgeous posts!! I adoooore these.. especially that first one. What a delicious, delicious capture!

    Shea Parker said...

    I love this shot- the light in her eyes is amazing

    TOLIVER FAMILY said...

    What an awesome find! Oh my word...shot of your oldest...tdf! Love soo much

    krista said...

    Good luck moving into your new house! I always love your posts and this week is no different! I love both of your shots and your story as well. Wish we lived closer to each other

    Jayme Franklin said...

    Sarah these are perfect! I love the chair! My first car too was a cherry red 73 bug!!!

    Hannah said...

    That is such a great chair! The car sounds so sweet as well. I love old VW's.

    Anonymous said...

    hey good pictures and the story behind all ,how you write !!!Amazing:)

    Christina

    The Rancher's Wife Kate said...

    Oh my I need to come visit you so we can go vintage-y shopping together. :)
    I love these images sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. Perfect my dear for that vintage-y feel!

    Andrea said...

    The chair is awesome and so are the "models"....took me back in time - which is what vintage is after all! Both shots are uniquely different...the girls will love these shots as they grow up!

    KellyW said...

    Love these both Sarah! I too had a vintage VW bug- bright turquoise blue!

    Lori said...

    What a beautiful story to go with a beautiful picture!

    melissa deakin said...

    sarah,
    this is gorgeous!
    i love reading your words...such a cool thing that your dad owned an antique store.
    beautiful work!

    Gail said...

    good golly, that last one is stunning. love the comp on the first one too... my word your babies are growing up before my eyes!

    Post a Comment