• slideshow image 2 slideshow image 3 slideshow image 4 slideshow image 5 slideshow image 6 slideshow image 
7 slideshow image 
8 slideshow image 
9

    Here Comes the Sun

    I've been wanting to use this ironic title for years now!!!!
    Here I am in my very first apartment in Valencia. I lived with a guy from Germany and one from Holland. My room was the size of a closet ( see below)

    It's finally here. I'm leaving. I'm going home!!!! I've been dreaming about this day for years. There were times when I thought it would never happen  - that I'd be doomed to spend the rest of my life here. It felt like the vacation that just wouldn't end.  Nearly seven years ago, I took a sabatical from work to travel Europe. I was supposed to go back after the year and begin working again. I didn't. I was going to stay in Valencia for four months to learn the language. I didn't... I didn't learn the language perfectly either! I have cried so many tears and have gotten to such a lonely place that it's hard to remember what I'm really like anymore. It has been hard, to say the least, but I know what I've gone through has made me into a stronger person. I'm not going to say better. I think I've seen a lot of parts of myself that I wish weren't there. I've realized that in times of difficulty and stress, a lot of ugliness comes seaping out. It makes me sympathize with people, though, who I never could understand before.
    Here's my little room. I came with only a backpack! I love it how it didn't even cross my mind to straighten up before taking the picture. I guess I wanted it to be real. I appreciate that!

    Even though I'm going and looking forward to soooooo many things - my family, my friends, my home, friendly customer service, a dryer, a big back yard, being able to speak the language, being able to drive... and go places when I want to... (Oh, I could go on with this list forever!)   I don't ever want to forget all of the things that I love about Spain. For starters - the sunshine. I love the weather here. I love that I can always count on backlight in my photos! Oh, and I will miss my insurance and never worrying about coverage. That's been a beautiful thing, never having to think about that. I will miss the fact that people disagree here about what's going on with the government, but that never divides them as people, nor does it define them. I will miss the public transportation system, the ability to walk everywhere and always feel safe. I'll miss the Mediterranean food and the social way of life. I'll miss the small independent cafés, restaurants and bars, the history and lack of strip malls. I'll miss the old, beautiful buildings, the cobblestone, the marble, and all the wisdom that comes with age.

    Boy, I guess I could go on with this list forever as well. It's funny to love two places so much but in such completely different ways. I used to say that if I could only combine Spain and Seattle, I'd live in the perfect place (I think I'd have to throw a little Monterey into the mix, though!)
    This was taken last Sunday at our very last paella together.

    Since I've been here, I've lived in seven different apartments, with people from 10 different countries. I've worked as an English teacher, a bar owner, a translator, a mommy and a photographer.  I've been dirt poor, have cried my eyes out on numerous occasions, but have experienced some of the greatest joys of my entire life. I have learned more than I could ever share. It has been an incredible experience.

    And now, I'm ready to go home. : )

    7 comments:

    McDolan said...

    smile smile smile, though your words are making me tear up!!! CAN"T WAIT! You are coming home yippeee!

    Erin said...

    Oh wow! And now when you go back to Spain you know you'll really be on vacation, what a treat that will be! SO excited to see you! ;)

    McDolan said...

    wait I just thought shouldn't the title really be "leaving on a jet plane"..... don't know when I'll be back again! :)

    Unknown said...

    Welcome home Sarah!! How bout the title, "Sarah smiiiiiiiiiiile" (Hall & Oates - before your time, but still).

    Anonymous said...

    hey i will miss you !!!!!
    and i saw many stuff that i can agree with you:)

    Wish you a happy happy warm welcome home:):)

    hear from you soon as possible
    love
    Christina

    Val Spring said...

    Oh Girl, you put tears in my eyes and after reading this I'm even more excited to get to meet you so soon because I can relate to you in so many things! I always say that I would love to live in a city that's a mix between Seattle and Buenos Aires.
    Good luck in you new chapter! So many amazing things coming for you!!!
    xoxo and see you soon!!

    Gigi said...

    It's a wonderful life!!!

    Post a Comment