• slideshow image 2 slideshow image 3 slideshow image 4 slideshow image 5 slideshow image 6 slideshow image 
7 slideshow image 
8 slideshow image 
9

    Tip of the Week: Window Light


    It seems fitting to talk about window light, since that's what I'm learning about (plus I couldn't think of a tip to share and Erin asked if I'd share on window light so I said, "BINGO!").

    The cool thing about window light is that you can get so many different effects, by just turning your subject, plus, you don't have to wait all day long for perfect light.
    Sweet little Cam Man. I love this kid. I love how these impromptu window lit photos came out too.
    Here are some things that I've learned since I started learning about photography (remember, I'm no pro, I'm just a girl who would like to be someday. ; ))

    1. When you see light shinning in through a window - the bright sunlight - that is NOT the light you want. You want soft, indirect light. Think of the kind of light many indoor plants like.  Most people say that a north-facing window is the bomb. I just say, "It's preferable" because, c'mon, you know I don't talk like that (I use much cooler vocabulary, like "BINGO!").
    An exception to direct window light would be evening window light when you want to play with sunflare.
    2. Look at the room you're shooting in. If you're in a room with a lot of windows and white walls, COOL! I'd love to come shoot at your house. You might not get a lot of contrast, but you'll get some amazing shots. If you shoot in a room with only one window, you'll get some very dramatic images which will also be stunning.
    This was shot upstairs in our sunny attic. It has windows on both sides, so she's all lit up. Her face it still a tad dark, though, but you get the idea.
    This was shot in our living room which only has one large window.
    3. Move. You move. Try taking the shot from different angles. Then tell your subject to move (if they'll oblige. I don't typically have that luxury, so I move... or I bribe, then shoot quickly).  Try some with your subject facing the window for a really nice even effect, and also try some like I have been working on where your subject sits in front of the window, but at a slight angle. 
    This is the one I submitted for our first assignment. The teacher said "great job", so I guess I did all right!
    4. Pay attention to the light. Where is it falling? Where are the shadows? You typically want at least a portion of the face lit up with some shadow. Try not to get the entire face in the shadow. I did this waaaay too many times to count while I was doing my practice shots.
    Julietta! Where did your face go?! Yeah, I know you can see it, but it's so dark, you see?  Get it?
    5. Don't over-expose your subject. You want light parts, but not completely WHITE parts. If you can only see white, it's overexposed (if you have a DSLR you can check to see if you've blown anything out after each shot). Other parts of the picture can be over-exposed, but not your subject.
    I love this shot so much, but I did over expose Julietta's face a bit and Bella's hair. Shucks!
    If you want to learn more,  "Available Light" by Don Marr is a really great, informative read. Or you can always take Detra's Creative Light workshop (and no, I don't get a kick back for mentioning her. I just really love it so far!)

    I hope this helps a bit. Make sure to leave me a comment if you have any questions, or you can always leave me a comment just because it makes me smile. : )

    4 comments:

    Nora said...

    Wowsers, Sarah, you are just amazing at this. I am loving the weekly tips, especially accompanied by so many pics of your gorgeous daughters. That very first one of Julietta is amazing (those eyes!) and the one of Bella that you submitted is my absolute favourite - she looks so unbelievably perfect.

    Claudia said...

    I see so much of Bella and Mackie in each other and I see a sweet little ancient sole in Juju's beautiful face. They are all such lovely little girls :) Oh, and let's not forget the one who is all about the "cheeks" ;)

    Anonymous said...

    Thanks for the tips, Sarah! I will use them. Sweet pics of the girls!!

    gerrie said...

    I´m gobsmacked Sezza! these photos are so beautiful. I´ll chatch up on your tips and have plenty of material for a good natter with wine, SOON! you got talent girl!xxx

    Post a Comment