• slideshow image 2 slideshow image 3 slideshow image 4 slideshow image 5 slideshow image 6 slideshow image 
7 slideshow image 
8 slideshow image 
9

    Going for it

     
    Have you heard the news?! We are heading back to my home - the Seattle area!!!! There were times when I thought I'd never see the day. For the past six months my mom has been calling and asking, "have you started packing yet?", and I'd laugh and say, "yeah, right."  Then I'd imagine the day when that would actually be happening. It never seemed real - always so far away. And now it is here, and I just want to sing sing sing! (But, I won't because both of my kids are sleeping, and you'd have to be some kind of wack job to wake your kids once they've finally fallen asleep).
    She insists on exploring every little thing with all of her senses!

    For the past week I've teetered between little surges of excitement that rise up in my chest to head-between-my-knees panic. The conditions of this move aren't ideal. I'm taking the girls ahead while Alex stays behind to wait for his visa and for the café to sell. Our choices were very limited, and in the end, the only obvious solution was for us to move back first, which would give me a chance to get things settled and find a job.

    A job.

    Oh my.

    A job.

    Crap.

    Turns out that's not so easy.  My teaching certificate has expired.  This is when my head starts spinning and makes it's way back between my knees. Deep breath. Commuting. Deep breath.   Finding (and paying for) full-time day care for my kids. Deep breath. Finding a job in the first place... etc. And to endure this ridiculously difficult juggling act when all I really want to do is make beautiful photographs of people enjoying life and each other's company.

    So, guess what?!

    I'M GOING FOR IT!

    I'm going to take a huge leap of faith and go into business as a photographer.  I'm doing  it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

    I know that there is a major chance I won't make it. Of course I know that. As naïve as it sounds, for some reason, I just believe it will be ok. Plus, I would much rather give it a shot than wonder my life away.

    Man, I'm just full of big news right now! I am finally feeling like I'm gaining back some control over my life, as ironic as that is! Wish me luck. I will put my whole self into this, and try my very hardest.

    Oh, and if you're interested in a portfolio-building session, (which will be about half the normal price), I plan on taking between 8-10 in February. After that it will be regular prices, so let me know. I'll be posting very soon about my cunning plan!

    22 comments:

    Megan Evans said...

    It was inevitable. You are going to be a HUGE success. I should have my friends in Seattle contact you to take their picture. You'd love them. So happy for you. It's about time. :-)

    xoxo

    Claudia said...

    You will be my go to person every time Sarah and I will recommend you to friends. I love your work and I think I have a critical eye when it comes to photography. As you know Vashon has a very tight artistic community. There are two art tours every year. If you want to be a part of the one in may it would give you great exposure. Also please let me be the first to book a session in February. You rock island girl!

    Unknown said...

    Thank you both! I'm so nervous right now! I sure do appreciate all the kind words! Claudia, I'll pencil you in! ; ) and I'd love to hear more about this art tour.

    Erin said...

    Sign the Zackey's up, we'll be good practice! That is good real-won't-be-easy practice! Oh and if you need someone to watch the girls for you if you do end up looking for a job in Seattle I'll be happy to. Though I guess by all of this you mean you might only do the photography gig full time! Which would be awesome! Anyhooo, I'm here. And I'm telling all of my friends about your plans and sharing your info.

    Anonymous said...

    Sarah, you have so much support. We are all here and we will all help you. You will be okay! Welcome home!
    ~Phoebe

    RORYJEAN said...

    You can do it- you're amazing! And I'd love to schedule a portfolio building session. We need family pictures- I'll be fat and really pregnant, but maybe you could make me look okay? Plus I'd love more pictures of the kids. Oh what fun! What are your prices? Are you building a website that I can send my friends to?

    Unknown said...

    Thanks, girls!! I am so grateful for your support.

    Rory and Erin, so glad to be doing a shoot for you guys! I bet that will give me some great practice! I'll be adding my prices and all the information here in the next few weeks. Meanwhile, Alex is building me a pretty new website!!! Thanks for spreading the word!!!! You guys rock!!

    Heather said...

    I can say from first hand experience that you will be awesome!

    Tammy Spence said...

    I'm so excited to have you back. You can take pictures of Zander for me. He'll for sure get you noticed:)

    Sarah Bunch said...

    Aw, thanks Heather. That means a lot!

    And Tammy, I'm excited to be back too!! I'm sure Zander gets noticed every where he goes. He's such a cutie!!

    Shannon Harrison said...

    a very big congrats to you! so exciting! change is never ever easy but when you come out the other side youre a whole new person with a gut load of confidence. all the power to you sister!

    jules said...

    congratulations on all of your exciting news! you are amazing with your photography and I know you'll be a smashing success! I adore the images in this post ... so full of beauty and light and love and colors. gorgy!

    Shauna said...

    Oh! Congrats, congrats you inspiring lady!! I just can't wait to watch your little venture grow and grow. p.s. so LOVE those images..so hard to pic a fave.. p.p.s. I lived overseas in Holland for 12 years, then made the plunge and came back to Canada --starting all over. One of the best things that ever happened to me. So, so excited for you!!

    Anonymous said...

    count me in!
    shanon

    Kelsey Anderson said...

    Lovely images!

    Ang said...

    Very exciting! Congrats on all of the wonderful changes :)

    Melissa said...

    Congratulations on taking the big step! You'll be so glad you gave it a go!

    Amy said...

    Sarah, you have what it takes and more. I know you will be hugely successful and have much joy in your life. Congratulations on your big move!

    Nora said...

    Yay! That sounds like just the right thing to be doing at just the right time - if a little scary too! :D And you know that if you want to get into weddings, there's the perfect opportunity in May (just the slight issue of a flight across the Atlantic!). xxx

    robyn said...

    LOVE that third one down... it is magical!! All the best in your move and leap into business!! I can't wait to see what 2011 has in store for you!

    Sarah C said...

    I am very interested!!! I'm Tammy's friend (sniffer) from WSU.

    Can't wait to have you back in the states.

    Sarah C said...

    And duh, please send me an email to schedule a date/time. sarahann.cook1@gmail.com

    Post a Comment