This week our assignment in my photography class is to continue taking pictures in the mid day sun, using the sun as back light, but now we're to use a reflector. Unfortunately, I don't have a reflector, so instead I found a white table cloth to do the trick. Improvisation can work wonders!
 |
| I don't think I've ever loved any piece of clothing as much as I love Bella's rainbow leggings. |
Yesterday around 11:30 am, I went out on a walk with Alex and the girls in tow. The sun was shinning, the kids were in good spirits and Alex was game to help me by holding the table cloth. While I messed around, trying to get the perfect shot, moving up and down and then waiting for that ONE moment, Alex began to get antsy. He stayed for about five shots and then decided to go on a run. There I was with the two girls, a table cloth and the mid day sun. No problem! I found a spot right in front of some hedges in some nice, lush, hyper-color green grass. Julietta is pretty eager to get out of the stroller just to explore, touch the grass and pick up the leaves and twigs...etc, so I put her down and tadaaa! Instant baby model. Her innate curiosity makes me nervous, of course, so in addition to all the stuff I have to think about while shooting, I have to make sure my kid doesn't choke on anything.
 |
| She's showing off her little blades of grass that she happened to find. |
Setting up the "reflector" must have been a sight to see. I tried to throw it over my shoulder, like a toga, then I laid it over by body and stretched it all the way down to my foot. Since I was shooting my kids, I had to get down at their level, so I got down toward the ground with it laying over my leg and I put that leg forward while I squatted on the other (are you getting a mental picture?). Not the most comfortable position, but I did what I had to do!
 |
| This one doesn't REALLY fulfill the assignment, but I did use a my table cloth (see the reflection in her eyes?) |
Bella was unusually helpful with the shoot and actually sat still for a few minutes. That was when I got my favorite shots. It's amazing the shots you can get when your subject will just sit still!!
Tomorrow I will post the TIP OF THE WEEK: Shooting in the Direct Sun. Until then, keep on clickin'!
4 comments:
Love them all!! Sarah you are AMAZING!! Please come photograph my kids so I have some images worthy of a canvas!
I love the third photo here - perfection!
amazing as always! would have loved to see a picture of you and your sheet (good idea!). I think there should be secret agents taking pictures of moms in action being Mom Superheros, so that we have evidence of our everyday heroism to show for when those dreaded teenage years arrive...;)
Another thought (which I am sure you know). I always wear white or light colored shirts to shoots. This can help a bit as a reflector. More importantly I am not ending up with pink catchlights (or weird color casts on their face) in my subjects eyes if I wear, you know, pink!
Post a Comment