• slideshow image 2 slideshow image 3 slideshow image 4 slideshow image 5 slideshow image 6 slideshow image 
7 slideshow image 
8 slideshow image 
9

    20 Houses

    A few nights ago I started thinking about all of the different houses and apartments I've lived in throughout my life. I counted 20. That seems like a lot to me, especially since I lived in the same house from ages five to 18. I went a bit stir crazy after high school, I guess.
    Julietta, my little "artiste", helping me unpack the arts and crafts box.

    While packing up this one, I realized that each time I've packed up a house, I've been eager to get to the next place. I've never felt very attached or nostalgic. I usually even leave a few days early because I can't wait for what lies ahead. I was really caught off guard when I was hit with a sudden wave of sadness as I was tossing out old worn out clothes a few days ago.
    Gripping my pant legs. "Ma ma ma ma ma"

    I have not been a big fan of living here in Terramelar. To be honest, I've had to fight with my inner grump from coming out on a regular basis. I found it odd that I was feeling twinges of sadness. This house, though, spills over with memories for the short time we were here: Bella took her first steps here, we flooded the living room with a birthing pool, Julietta was born here, the café started doing really well, the economy took a nose dive, the café started to suffer, we struggled with money, we ate at Asian buffets, Alex learned how to make paella, Julietta learned to crawl, Bella started speaking Spanglish, and my photography journey began here. There were a lot of difficult times, but I know when I close the door for the last time, I will probably only remember the good stuff.

    Here are some photos I took of my girls with their grandparents, or  their "Yayos". In the first few, Bella and Julietta are dressed like Falleras.( Fallas is the biggest festival in Valencia that takes place in March where all chaos breaks loose. It's an amazing festival where they burn these huge incredible sculptures that they spend all year making.)


    I was experimenting with some different types of processing, so there is some variation in color, contrast...etc.





    And these are from our New Years day family lunch. In Spain, the entire family gets together to have dinner on New Years Eve, and then after midnight, the party animals go out until the wee morning hours. I don't know if it's such a tradition to have lunch together on New Years Day, but it's a tradition in Alex's family. You eat shrimp for both of them!! MMM!





    No, this is not an exorcism. The Yayos are very devout Catholics, and Bella likes to play with the cross.

    And so does Julietta!

    13 comments:

    Kristy said...

    How bittersweet! Love all of the images and the post. Good luck with the move and saying goodbye to the house:)

    Kelsey {Las Vegas Boudoir Photographer} said...

    Love the feel of these images! Lovely!

    Anonymous said...

    Love your processing with these, it's always fun to try new things. Good luck with your new adventures!

    robyn said...

    I always feel sad when I moved from one house to another even if it is for a better place. It is the memories from each place. Best of luck with the move!

    Anonymous said...

    Beautiful photos Sarah! I loooove the ones with the sweet dresses. Your post is so well written, Cheers to new adventures! ~Marla

    Julie Livermore said...

    The second one of the festival is my fave, what a treasure to have such a great pic with their grandparents. Good luck with all that lies ahead of you!

    McDolan said...

    Sarah, I completely agree. still to this day I do not feel completely settled... we have been in this house 8 years already... I too am ready to move on somewhere else, not sure where or even if that would be the place. Half the time I think that is why I don't even want put pictures on the wall as if spackling the wall is a terrible thing :)... may this move after the apartment be the last for a while... well depending on where you end up that is!

    Erin said...

    ah, I know just how you feel! I just counted I've only lived in 14 (whoah, I had no idea it was even that many!) and the last one we really lived in, in Shoreline was certainly the hardest to leave. Considering it was the first house that was really ours was the biggest part, and that it was our baby home, where we brought both baby's home...anyway, already wrote that whole post. But just think, in this new home, Julietta will learn to walk (umm, if she hasn't before then), and all of you will be in an entirely new country where SO many people will be there to give you support and friendship! Oh boy!
    Oh, and those dresses are incredible, and the yayos pictures are precious!

    Anonymous said...

    Beautiful images full of love and truth. I loved looking at them! I love your girl's names and the little fallayos {sp?} outfits and the pictures with the grandparent, ahhhhh, beautiful!

    Anonymous said...

    really cute and wonderful pictures !!!
    Coach i will miss you and your girls!
    So hope we can meet before you go!!!

    Chris

    Rachel May said...

    We've been in our house 2 years and I still don't feel settled... I kinda don't want to though because this isn't *MY* house... I want my dream house to settle in, ya know?! PS beautiful images!

    TOLIVER FAMILY said...

    these are great!

    Unknown said...

    sarah--love the pictures with the grandparents!!!

    Post a Comment